Question: To what extent do you think you will be able to apply what you have learned in this course to your future teaching career?
The Communication Skills for Teachers module does have a
number of fairly useful lessons and classes that will enable me to be better
prepared as a teacher for when I finally step into a classroom. Of particular
relevance and usefulness to me as a teacher was the class on Vocal Health and
Voice Production. It was useful to learn the various hints and tips needed to
preserve my voice and ensure that my vocal ability is not impaired. This is crucial
because once I start out in school, I cannot afford to lose my voice as this
would seriously hinder my lessons and I would be doing a disservice to my
students as well. I have been attempting to practice speaking from the diaphragm
and projecting my voice further so as to utilize the strategies suggested by
the course material.
Some of the lessons which I did not find as useful might be
the class on Classroom communication. I felt that it was perhaps a little too
idealized and I would have liked if there were more real-world context and
scenarios as opposed to the slightly artificial examples put up on Moodle.
I found the written communication module interesting but the
test itself did not really aid in my development as a teacher. While
identifying the various types of questioning techniques and strategies was
useful, I am unsure that writing a text depicting classroom conversations is
the best way to prepare for an actual classroom lesson.
I found the use of the blended approach to CST interesting as
it was still able to teach CST concepts which I felt were only applicable to
physical classroom teaching. This might offer some information as to how (if I
were to do so) I could implement online and F2F lessons in my own classrooms in
the future.
All in all, I find the CST module useful, but I would
appreciate it if there were more real-world applicability built into the
various lessons courses.
No comments:
Post a Comment